Logo Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
powered by PHP2All - MiniCMS

Academic records required by uni-assist

  • School and university leaving certificates
    Please send us all documents attesting to the qualifications entered on your application form.  For you to gain eligibility to study bachelor programs in Germany, you usually need a secondary school leaving certificate, and in accordance with your country of origin you will also need a certificate proving that you have passed the university entrance examination relevant to you.  You may also need documentation confirming your years of study.  Please go to our Certificate Database (currently for seventeen countries) or www.anabin.de to find out which certificates enable foreign student applicants to study in Germany. For admission to master programs you usually need a bachelor degree certificate in addition to a transcript of records for all study years. Some universities also accept at the time of application a preliminary certificate.

  • Language certificates
    For information on required and recognized language certificates, please refer to the universities that you intend to apply to.  Foreign applicants require normally sufficient German language competence in order to gain access to a study course.  For certain paths of study, universities may also require additional foreign language competencies.

  • If your chosen university asks you to submit a TOEFL certificate to uni-assist, then please quote uni-assist's TOEFL institution code 2727 at the following address: http://www.ets.org/toefl. TOEFL will then send the certificate directly to uni-assist.

  • Additional documents
    For certain paths of study, proof of professional experience, of completed work placements relevant to your course, or of participation in the GMAT or SAT may also be required.  You may have to submit a CV, cover letter, letter of recommendation or similar documentation.  Please obtain information in plenty of time from your chosen university (beginning with their website) regarding which documents have to be submitted for your desired course of study, and please check carefully all information given to you by universities, since the requirements for different universities and for different courses at the same university can be quite different.
    Additionally, we need a photocopy of your passport (the page showing your photo, name and nationality), and if you are paying by transferring the money to our account, it would be helpful if you could attach your paying slip or a copy of the transfer form from your bank, so that we can register your payment more easily and thereby process your application more quickly.  If you want to pay by debit card or by direct debit, then we will need you to fill in and submit a paper copy of our "Payment by Direct Debit Authorisation or Credit Card" form in clearly legible block capitals (please do not send by fax or as a scanned e-mail attachment!)


Which form does uni-assist need these documents in?

  • Copies of your original certificates and copies of translations of these
    Universities usually need copies of your original certificates (in the original language) and also copies of the translations of these certificates.  Never send any of your original certificates or documents, only ever authenticated copies!
    All copies, including copies of translated documents, must be authenticated!
  • Very few universities allow their applicants for Master's degree programmes to hand in simple copies of all certificates (please ask about this option directly at your chosen university).
  • Authentication
    An "official" authentication is usually acceptable.  The term "official" means that a public authority, or the institution that orginally issued the certificate in question, confirms that the copy of the certificate corresponds to the original by marking it with a round stamp (their official seal).  Some universities, however, only accept a "public" authentication.  This is where the authentication process has to be carried out by the German Embassy, a German Consulate or a notary in Germany.  Click here for information on authentications and the apostille...
  • Translations
    Most universities accept copies of certificates and translations in English without translation.  A small number accept them in French and Spanish.  Thereafter, translations into German are no longer necessary.  However, please note that most universities will only accept translations carried out by state-registered, sworn translators.
  • Scans and uploads
    Authenticated documents are only valid holding the original seal and the original signature. Scanned copies, colour copies or uploads of authenticated documents will not be accepted as they count as simple copies.


You need one application form per university, but only one set of documents for all universities.
Even if you choose to apply to more than one university, we only need each document once. Please note, however, that your documents must be authenticated in a way recognized by the universities you are applying to.  Any additional documents requested by particular universities (or necessary for certain paths of study) can simply be sent together with the rest of your application documents.

If you choose to make another application,
Please quote us your old application number.  If you have changed your address in the meantime, please quote your old address as well.  This will help us to retrieve your documents and process your new application more quickly.  If you are re-applying within a year of your last application, we just need a new application form, and any other necessary or newly acquired certificates should they be necessary.

3 farbige Halbkreise Logo inobis.de